National Research Data Infrastructure (Nationale Forschungsdateninfrastruktur)
The establishment of a National Research Data Infrastructure (NFDI) for the long-term safeguarding, indexing and utilization of research data was recommended by the Rat für Informationsinfrastrukturen (RfII) and approved by the federal and state governments. The NFDI Association (directorate and office) as the coordinating organization is located in Karlsruhe.
The Universität Hamburg is an institutional member of the NFDI Association and is represented by the head of the Center for Sustainable Research Data Management.
The NFDI is a science-driven initiative. The requirements, needs and demands on an information infrastructure are developed research-specifically within the framework of consortia. Funding for the consortia is initially planned for 10 years in three application phases. During this time, the following goals are to be achieved:
- Sustainable, qualitative and systematic securing, indexing and utilisation of research data via regional and networked knowledge repositories,
- Establishment of research data management according to the FAIR principles (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Re-usable),
- Connection to and networking with international initiatives such as the European Open Science Cloud.
Extensive information on the consortia funded so far, the application procedure and the time schedule can be found on the website of the Deutschen Forschungsgemeinschaft.
The Universität Hamburg is involved in the following NFDI consortia:
- BERD@NFDI - for Economic Data and Related Matters
(Social and Behavioural Sciences)
Prof. Dr. Mark Heitmann (BWL)
- NFDI4Earth - NFDI Consortium Earth System Research
Prof. Dr. Detlef Stammer, Remon Sadikni (MIN)
- PUNCH4NFDI - Particles, Universe, Nuclei and Hadros for NFDI
Jun.-Prof. Gregor Kasieczka, Prof. Dr. Marcus Brüggen (MIN)
- Text+ - Language and text-based research data infrastructure
Prof. Dr. Kristin Bührig, Prof. Dr. Ingrid Schröder (GW)
- NFDI4Microbiota - National Research Data Infrastructure for Microbiota Research
Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Streit (MIN)
- NFDI4Health - National Research Data Infrastructure for Personal Health Data
Prof. Dr. Stefan Blankenberg, Dr. Annika Jagodzinski (UKE)
- NFDI4DataScience - NFDI for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
Prof. Dr. Ricardo Usbeck (MIN)
- NFDIxCS - National Research Data Infrastructure for and with Computer Science
Prof. Dr. Hannes Federrath (MIN), Dr. Daniel Demmler (MIN)
- NFDI4Objects - Research Data Infrastructure for the Material Remains of Human History
Institut für Klassische Archäologie
- NFDI4Memory - The Consortium for the Historically Oriented Humanities
Center for Sustainable Research Data Management, Cluster Understanding Written Artefacts
Dr. Stefan Thiemann (ZFDM)